For the Love of Film

April 8, 2013

There's just something about film. We absolutely love the look, but I think it's about more than just that. Along with it comes a sense of nostalgia of a time when everyone bought rolls of film, learned how to load a roll and dropped the finished product off at their neighborhood film shop in eager anticipation of how the photos would turn out.

As a little girl, I remember following my dad around when he worked at a film processing shop with the enormously loud machine and the smells of developing chemicals. I remember watching him with amazement as black strips of film slowly turned into negative images of little people in his makeshift darkroom (our family garage) and how he gave me and my sister each a roll of film in elementary school to play with (and we came up with really awesomely creative ideas <--- sarcasm, like taking photos not only of a trash can, but of one of us in a trash can).

But then there's the not-so-good elements of film photography, like the time my dad shot a wedding and after processing the film, my mom was holding up the negatives to look at them in the car...on the highway...with the windows rolled down...you can guess how that ended, haha. It's challenging and a bit scary when you don't know if the pictures will even turn out - especially when the camera is purely mechanical and auto-[fill in the blank] doesn't exist.

But when they do, it's kind of magical :)

Some film photos from our trip to San Diego:




 Proof of my sister's creativity: BAM! You've just been amazed.


Camera: Nikon F100 || Film 400 ISO
Lens: Nikon 20mm f/2.8

No comments:

Post a Comment