Summer Adventures in Asia: Beijing

July 27, 2015

For part of our adventures in Asia, we stayed in Beijing for 3 full days. My first visit to Beijing was in 2005 with some friends from college, but it was so fun getting the chance to experience it all over again with my husband since he had never been before. I think it's unanimous in our family that the best part of this portion of the trip was riding down a toboggan slide on the great wall :)

Beijing is a lively, bustling city with over 11.5 million people. There are many well-known historical sites to visit including the Great Wall, the Forbidden City, and Tiananmen Square. We did a ton of walking - over 14 miles on our busiest day. The transit system is very well built so it's easy to get around and explore. I tried to use what little Mandarin I know, but I'm so thankful that my father-in-law can speak it fluently. For having lived in China an entire year, my Chinese is pretty rusty + horrible (whoops -_-).

Photos: iPhone 5












Favorites:

- The Great Wall: There are several portions of the Great Wall that you can visit. Badaling is the most famous and frequented, often packed with people. I prefer Mutianyu because there are fewer crowds and the chance to ride down a toboggan slide :)

- The Forbidden City: You could spend hours here and see what it was like to live in the imperial palace. The architecture is beautiful, but it does get quite crowded here (of course, you're in Beijing so "crowded" is almost unavoidable!). While you're there, you can visit Tiananmen Square just across the street.

- Temple of Heaven: There are a ton of different to temples to visit all around the city, but this one is very big and there's so much to see. My favorite part was the rose garden that was in full bloom when we were visiting - the biggest rose garden I've ever seen.

- Dong Hua Men Night Market: This is definitely a place for adventurous eaters. I am not one of them, but it was still fun to see all the amazing things they sell like snake or scorpion - if it crawls, swims, or breathes, they can grill it!

What's the craziest thing you've ever tried eating?

No comments:

Post a Comment